Wat does it mean?Itz been the buzz word for some years now as people started crossing international borders to get the Best health care available around the globe!!!!
Wikepedia describes Medical tourism as ” Medical tourism (also called medical travel, health tourism or global health care) is a term initially coined by travel agencies and the mass media to describe the rapidly-growing practice of travelling across international borders to obtain health care ” Read more
Medical Tourism has grown leaps and bounds in India..Rt from the time I started working as a BioMedical Engr 4 years back in a Leading Hospital In South India ,I have seen patients coming from all over the world..Developed countries like US,UK and countries Like Israel and our Neighbours Pakistanis ,Bangladeshis,Nepalis flock in to India for better medical care too!!!Not to forget are the patients from Middle east as well!
Have read touching stories from Parents of Pakistani Kids who are cured in India..and they talking abt the hospitality n care they recieved in India despite the ever rising tensions n conflicts between the ” once ONE” nation…(forget it it was before Aug 13th 1947..that is the day our Muslim brothers wish of wanting their own country was agreed and full filled by our Father of our Nation,Gandhiji…)
I greatly agree and have experienced always a better medical care n quick diagnosis Back In India. The reason logically being..India gets more patients as v are the second highest populated country n so the Number of different cases vary widely n the frequency of the same disease , diagnosis but difft symptoms makes it a undoubted experience for the doctors…as the volume of patients grow!!!! and the facilities are amazing!!!
But Kudoos to the healthcare facilities in India!!!
A recent article says that Medical tourism is on the rise in India!
The Snippets are
- With around one million tourists flocking to India for healthcare, a Rs 10,000 crore medical travel value expected by 2010, and a growth of 25% per year, medical tourism is booming like never before.
- Union minister for tourism, Ambika Soni said the government is aggressively promoting India as a global healthcare destination to offer a holistic approach to health.
- Seeing the huge potential in the sector, the government has also started issuing M (medical) visa to the medical patients, and MX visas to the spouse accompanying him, which are valid for a year.Two lakh medical tourists visited India last year, and the figure will grow by 50% this year.
- India is being promoted as a healthcare destination in the ongoing ‘Incredible India campaign,’ being run by the tourism ministry.
- availing medical services in India costs about a tenth of what it is in US, and one-sixth in UK.
- India now offers the latest techniques such as robotic surgery, and gamma-knife treatment for brain tumours. The efficacy of treatment compares with that in the West, with the death rate from coronary bypasses at 0.8% compared to 2.35% in the US.